Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Worship - Getting Naked

Worship is my absolute favorite part of being a Christian. I love music. I love lyrics. I love the intimacy. I love dancing. I love swaying. I love going hoarse. I love the truth and how excited it makes me when I sing it. I love the revelations that come when I worship. I love falling on my face because I know that I am nothing and He is everything. I love that I am never closer to Him than when I worship. I love crying and laughing and screaming. I love His presence. Whether the music is slow and meaningful or fast and passionate, I absolutely love it.

For so long worship meant music to me. At the beginning of my life, it meant the music we sing right before the sermon at church. That was before God's love became real to me. When I first started that relationship with God, I found that I could worship to music, and wanted to, at all times of the day not just at church. Expansion #1. But recently I'm realizing that worship is so much more than singing. It's so much more than words, so much more than notes, so much more than instruments or voices.

It is leaving your worries behind. It is letting go of everything that haunts you. It is releasing anger, strife, despair, pride, selfishness, greed. It is getting completely naked before God and pointing to the pile of clothes and stuff behind us and saying "This is Yours." But not that, it is also pointing to our naked, helpless, worthless bodies and saying "I am Yours." This can happen in music, and I find that I enjoy it best in music. But it also happens in other areas of our life as well.

Worship is giving God the best that He has given you.
- Oswald Chambers

What has God given you that has radically changed your life? What is the best thing about your marriage, your family, your job, your friends, your possessions? How are you giving that up to God?

How are you worshiping?

No comments:

Post a Comment