Saturday, December 5, 2009

Temple of the Holy Spirit

Silly America and it's independent thought processes. Everything is me me me, I I I, myself myself myself. It's so much easier to just worry about yourself than to worry about other people, right? Which is why we spiral into depression, bitterness, etc so easily. And it's also why we forget that our bodies are not our own. They are the temple of the Holy Spirit.

We eat what we want, we do what we want, we stay up as late as we want, we go where we want, we sleep with who we want. Me me me, I I I, myself myself myself. We're not hurting anyone else, so who cares? We do it because we can, because we have the opportunity.

So why not? Why not indulge ourselves, because we deserve it right? In this crappy world, we deserve to pamper ourselves, we deserve to take advantage of what is right in front of us. Right?

"Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but only one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may win. 25Everyone who competes in the games exercises self-control in all things They then do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable. 26Therefore I run in such a way, as not without aim; I box in such a way, as not beating the air; 27but I discipline my body and make it my slave, so that, after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified. "

- 1 Corinthians 9:24-27



Our bodies are God's, even if our minds or our emotions are not. We are supposed to control our bodies' desires, not it control us. We are supposed to "take every thought captive" and not indulge in anything that takes us away from God's will. We make excuses for ourselves so often but condemn others. Maybe because we can see the effects better in others lives but not in our own. Maybe we're just selfish brats and only care about ourselves.

There are a lot of things in my life that are needing to be pruned out. This past week I started working again and it's like I completely forgot about anyone else. I went out and stayed up late after work and then slept to the last possible second, rolled out of bed and went to work. There was no time for my God time in the morning, because I wanted to do whatever late the night before. I'm eating whatever the hell I want at work because it's available and "why shouldn't i?" I haven't been going to the gym, that I pay for every month, just because I'm uber lazy and I don't want to go. Hello, I pay for it every month! I have the time!

I've been living this past week on my agenda, not God's. God had a completely different plan for me this week and it would have been awesome. But I was too consumed in myself to bother.

Time to realign. Time to refocus. Time to get it together!

Ready, set go!

1 comment: