Saturday, December 19, 2009

Evangelism...GO!

It's so crazy to me how hard Satan works to get us completely opposite of God's plans for us.

All my life I've known some things about myself. I was never going to be a stay at home mom, I probably wouldn't have kids at all, I was going to go to a prestigious school and get a great job and make something of myself (which hopefully included money as well), and I was certainly never going to be a missionary. I wanted to travel but on my terms, for business and such. And I sure as hell was never going to lead someone to Christ unless they walked up to me and asked me to...and even then, I probably wouldn't.

Oh how funny I used to be. Now I know that God's will for me is for me to not only be a stay at home mom, but to be a mom to whoever needs one. Not only has He told me I'm going to have several kids of my own, but that I will be adopting and be a foster parent for years and years after my own children have left the house. I am not going to school at all, and may never actually get a degree...and if I do, it probably won't be one that's acceptable in the professional world. I am definitely going to travel but not for business! I am definitely called to be a missionary and I am DEFINITELY called to be an evangelist. Oh boy.

So recently God has been teaching me things about evangelism, about the lost, about being a missionary, to get rid of all the fallacies and lies Satan had been feeding me for 20 years of my life. For instance, I have always been a "preach the love of God" fanatic and have never liked hearing fire and brimstone sermons. In fact, I always believed that those people who preached a fire and brimstone, "repent and be saved", message were faaaaaar from God. So I just always discredited them. But today God told me that they are preaching the message He wants said.
If you are sensitive to God's way, your message as His servant will be merciless and insistent, cutting to the very root. Otherwise there will be no healing.
-Oswald Chambers
So really, if my spirit was fully in line with God, and I was allowing Him to use me as His vessel, than I should be saying things that don't allow people to hide from their sin. Things that force them to look at the unpleasant things about them and come to terms with it. Because God can't heal someone, can't bring them to Himself if they aren't listening and if they don't know that they need Him.
If a person cannot go to God, it is because he has something secret which he does not intend to give up - he may admit his sin, but would no more give up that thing than he could fly under his own power.
-Oswald Chambers
One reason I don't like talking to unbelievers about sin and about finding grace in Christ is because I'm afraid they won't accept. In fact, I'm afraid they'll be pissed off. But I have to continually remind myself that it is not me they are mad at, it is God. And that it is their own fault if they do not accept, not mine.

The best advice I have gotten today, that my church The Community At Lakeridge really adheres to, is to "deal with people where they are, until they begin to realize their true need." I love that whole idea...because it combines my desire to love people as God loves them with the "repent" mindset that I hate so much...it takes both extremes and brings them to a happy middle, which is what the life of a Christian is all about...everything in moderation.

I'm still scared. It's still a huge deal for me to climb out on that limb. But I also know that God has given me a job where I come into contact with a lot of people for practice and surrounded me with people who have the same calling on their lives as examples and encouragement.

My Beloved,
I alone see the secret fears of your heart, My love. When you are fearful of the storms that rage in this life, hear Me whisper, "Be still nad know that I am God." Close your eyes and call out to Me, for I am your Pricne of Peace. I will calm the storm inside your soul. Every time you allow Me to navigate your life, you will be reminded that I am your Captain. You can count on Me. I made the seas, and I am your lighthouse when you need hope.
Love,
Your Prince and Saviour

"He stilled the storm to a whisper; the waves of the sea were hushed."
- Psalm 107:29

No comments:

Post a Comment