Thursday, September 2, 2010

The most important question

The best indicator of my surrender, dedication, and obedience to Christ is asking myself one question...

If I were to lose it all, would I still praise Him?

Most of the time I start reviewing all that I could lose.

If I lost my job, would I still praise Him?

If I lost my friends, would I still praise Him?

If I lost my family, would I still praise Him?

If I lost my house, would I still praise Him?

If I was left with nothing, naked on the street, would I still praise Him? Would I still be filled with the fruits of the Spirit? Would I still surrender to His will and say "You are all I need"?

His purpose is not the development of a person - His purpose is to make a person exactly like Himself, and the Son of God is characterized by self-expenditure. If we believe in Jesus, it is not what we gain but what He pours through us that really counts.
- Oswald Chambers
Asking myself these questions will quickly make me realize what I'm holding onto instead of Jesus. What I am trying to control instead of letting Him guide. Where I am refusing to surrender.

Almost everytime the result is instant surrender, dropping whatever I was gripping, repentance for taking what wasn't mine, and joy that Christ saved me myself.

My desire is to be completely surrendered. My goal is to be so filled with the Holy Spirit that it cannot be hidden, that Christ shines through so much that I disappear. My desire is to be like Stephen, that in every circumstance the Holy Spirit is in control and not I, and that I would be so filled with Christ's love that I could pray for mercy for my murderers as they kill me. I want to be so strong in my Jesus that I can say what Polycarp said

"Leave me as I am. For he who grants me to endure the fire will enable me also to remain on the pyre unmoved, without the security you desire from nails."

Lord, please take from my life what I don't need. Take even what I need, Lord, so that I am completely and totally dependent on You. Fill me with Your Holy Spirit and continue to wash me clean of everything that is offensive to You. Give me the desire to seek You, to be closer to You, to love You more. Teach me to fight sin in my life and to boldly preach the gospel.

No comments:

Post a Comment